An Anthropology degree at University of Hawaii at Manoa may be an end unto itself, or preparation for admission to the PhD Program, which provides opportunities for further specialization. A PhD is typically required for a career in academia. The Department also offers alternative terminal MA tracks in Applied Archaeology and Applied Cultural Anthropology.
The academic program
There is a campus-wide New Graduate Student Orientation (NGSO) during the week before the Fall semester starts, hosted by the Graduate Student Organization (GSO). The Department of Anthropology also hosts an orientation session for its own new students during the same week. It is run jointly by the Anthropology Graduate Student Association (AGSA) and faculty members. Entering students should receive an information packet from the department about this during the summer.
- Master's Plan B/C Studies
- Linguistic Anthropology
- Biological Anthropology Core
- Discursive Practices
- Anthropology of Infectious Disease
- The Media and Discursive Practice
- History and Memory
- Cultural Geographies of Tourism
- Contemporary Anthropological Theory
- (Alpha) Theory in Social and Cultural Anthropology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology View 781 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education.
- Submit a copy of the passport identification pages, or a copy of the national identification card if a passport is not available.
- Submit one transcript or academic record from each institution of higher education attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take English Language Proficiency.
- Show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses, including expenses for any accompanying spouse or children.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.