Human civilization has left no parts of Earth untouched. Protecting the environment and transitioning into a sustainable relationship between people and nature might be the largest challenge of our time. The transition demands global cooperation between politicians, policy makers, multinationals, international organisations, civil society and scientists. It creates a growing demand for people with knowledge, understanding and problem-solving capabilities in global environmental politics.
The Political Science - Global Environmental Governance, Sustainability and Climate Change programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers intensive coaching by means of tutorials and workshops, each taught by qualified and internationally acclaimed lecturers. With this specialization you will acquire fundamental knowledge and a set of skills that are in high demand for decision making positions at the levels of international and national policy making.
Many graduates find work as a policy analyst or advisor within an international governmental or non-governmental organization, in the private sector, or as a civil servant in a government ministry. You will also be well qualified to work in the field of journalism.
Graduates also find jobs in communication and external relations. The thorough application of research skills offered by the programme also prepares you for a further career in academia. Many of our graduates participate in reputable PhD programmes around the world.
This programme is accredited by the NVAO.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Core Debates in Political Science
- Applying Core Debates in Political Science
- Selected Issues: Democracy, Populism and the state in Europe
- Selected Issues: Global Political Economy and Geopolitics
- Selected Issues Global Environmental Governance
- Selected Issues: International Security Studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- EU/EEA or Dutch students: 1 June
- Non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 June
- Students who need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 April.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Environmental Sciences Political Science View 55 other Masters in Political Science in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To gain admission to the selective Master's programme, you must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations or a related discipline from an accredited research university (such as public administration, communication science, sociology, journalism, anthropology, etc.).
- Academic record, based on GPA or an overall grade average, preferably 7 or higher.
- Aptitude for social scientific theory and methods, as demonstrated by: thesis/proof of academic writing, results on individual courses, research skills and/or academic references.
- Likelihood to benefit ('growth potential') from the international and academic environment of the MSc Political Science, based on the above and your CV.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16630 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16630 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.