Human civilization has left no parts of Earth untouched. Protecting the environment and transitioning into a sustainable relationship between people and nature might be the largest challenge of our time. The transition demands global cooperation between politicians, policy makers, multinationals, international organisations, civil society and scientists. It creates a growing demand for people with knowledge, understanding and problem-solving capabilities in global environmental politics.
The Political Science - Global Environmental Governance, Sustainability and Climate Change MSc programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers intensive coaching by means of tutorials and workshops, each taught by qualified and internationally acclaimed lecturers. With this specialization you will acquire fundamental knowledge and a set of skills that are in high demand for decision making positions at the levels of international and national policy making.
Many graduates find work as a policy analyst or advisor within an international governmental or non-governmental organization, in the private sector, or as a civil servant in a government ministry. You will also be well qualified to work in the field of journalism.
Graduates also find jobs in communication and external relations. The thorough application of research skills offered by the programme also prepares you for a further career in academia. Many of our graduates participate in reputable PhD programmes around the world.
Promotion alumni sessions Master’s day
During the Master’s day, you can also meet our (international) alumni during several workshops. In these sessions they will tell you more about career opportunities after finishing your Master’s degree.
This programme is accredited by the NVAO.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Core Debates in Political Science
- Applying Core Debates in Political Science
- Selected Issues: Democracy, Populism and the state in Europe
- Selected Issues: Global Political Economy and Geopolitics
- Selected Issues Global Environmental Governance
- Selected Issues: International Security Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Environmental Sciences Political Science View 18 other Masters in Environmental Economics & Policy in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You are directly admissible to the programme with a BSc degree in Political Science obtained at an established institute and a curriculum including social science methods.
- If you have a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a field other than political science, you may be asked to complete a bridging programme of max. 30 EC before applying to the Master's in Political Science (PS).
- a curriculum vitae
- a certified transcript of the grades you obtained in your Bachelor’s programme in English or translated into English by your university or a sworn translator
- a description of the relevant courses/modules followed and literature used during your previous higher education
- a (short) letter motivating your choice
- a proof of academic writing, such as (parts of) a thesis, paper or essay
- a certified copy of your original Bachelor’s degree certificate
- a copy of the page(s) in your passport
- a scan with the result of your English language test
International15546 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15546 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA1084 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1084 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.