The MS program in Biophysics, offered by the University at Buffalo, is designed for students seeking a career in academia or industry.
Programs of study are conducted in experimental, theoretical, and translational biophysics. Areas of experimental interest include structural biology, properties of membrane ionic channels, receptors, and transporters, and synaptic processes in neurons. Organ systems include the heart, kidney, gastrointestinal and nervous systems.
Theoretical topics include stochastic methods, modeling of biological systems, and nervous system theory. The program in biophysics is interdisciplinary and draws on the diverse resources throughout the university’s scientific community.
The graduate program leading to the MS degree in Biophysical Sciences is intended to provide a sound scientific foundation for those planning to pursue a career in research, teaching, or applied biomedical fields. In order to promote the achievement of this objective, the following program requirements have been adopted:
- Cell Biology
- Neural Engineering
- Structure & Function in Genes and Proteins
- Regulation of Metabolism
- Biomaterials: Cell-Surface Phenomenon
- Medical Biophysics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- International students: Regardless of your program’s deadline, it is recommended that you apply at least 6-9 months prior to the term start date.
DisciplinesPhysics Biology View 1263 other Masters in Biology in United States
- A bachelor's degree (or higher) or the equivalent from an accredited/government recognized college or university. Most such degrees will be four or more years in length; UB recognizes some three-year degrees, but not all
- A B-grade (GPA of 3.0) or higher from your bachelor's degree (or equivalent) courses. Grade point averages from non-U.S. universities will be evaluated by UB's Office of International Admissions
- Appropriate standardized test scores (DAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MAT, MCAT, PCAT, etc.). Not all programs require test scores. See the official academic test scores section below for more information
- Letters of recommendation
- An internship or relevant work experience (for some programs)
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.