At the Drug Discovery and Safety MSc programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you will examine the interaction between molecules and the human body from a range of perspectives: chemical, medical, toxicological, pharmacological and genetic.
You will focus on a specialisation that suits your specific interests while working in a multidisciplinary environment where you will be challenged to address key questions about the medicines of the future. Sixty per cent of diseases are still incurable, so there are still a great many challenges for researchers to tackle.
- Graduates in Drug Discovery and Safety have excellent employment prospects and can generally expect to earn a good salary. This Master’s programme opens up a whole range of career opportunities.
- The most obvious ones are in medicinal research, the pharmaceuticals industry and hospital laboratories, but there are also plenty of opportunities within research institutes and government inspection agencies.
Promotion alumni sessions Master’s day
During the Master’s day, you can also meet our (international) alumni during several workshops. In these sessions they will tell you more about career opportunities after finishing your Master’s degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
First Year Specialisations:
- Drug Design and Synthesis
- Drug Discovery and Target Finding
- Drug Disposition and Safety Assessment
- Computational Medicinal Chemistry and Toxicology
- Diagnostics and Imaging
Second Year Specialisations:
- Science in Society
- Science Communication
- Secondary Education Teacher Training for STEM Disciplines
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBiology Human Medicine Pharmacy View 12 other Masters in Pharmacy in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent.
- You can gain direct admission to the Master's programme Drug Discovery and Safety with a Bachelor's degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences or Chemistry.
- Create an enrollment application in Studielink
- Complete your application in Vuweb
- Pay the application fee (€100)
- Copy of your valid passport or ID
- Curriculum Vitae
- 1 or 2 Letters of recommendation
- Statement of Intent (Letter of Motivation)
- Diploma(s): A copy of the original Bachelor's degree or certificate.
- Transcript of records
- Thesis (or alternative piece of academic writing)
- A description of the relevant courses followed and literature used during your previous higher education
International14236 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14236 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1084 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1084 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.