Study the Sacred Music MM program offered at University of Southern California
Our department boasts alumni distinguished by the diversity of their contributions to the choral art, including music directors of renowned professional ensembles such as the Los Angeles Master Chorale, directors of choral activities at leading university schools of music, such as the University of Michigan, and composers of choral music published by Oxford University Press, ECS Publishing, Peer International, Faber & Faber, and Walton. Our faculty sets the international standard for choral conducting, literature, and composition. Jo-Michael Scheibe is National Vice President of ACDA, and is in constant demand as a choral clinician internationally. Nick Strimple authored the leading books on nineteenth- and twentieth-century choral literature, and regularly appears internationally as a lecturer, composer, and conductor. Cristian Grases is on the Board of Directors of the International Choral Federation and is a frequent clinician at all-state festivals. Morten Lauridsen is the country’s most distinguished composer of choral music and recipient of the National Medal of Arts.
Auditions for the graduate program in conducting take place by invitation during the spring prior to the first academic year of study. Teaching assistantships and scholarships are available to the most qualified of applicants.
- Individual Instruction Piano or Organ
- Individual Instruction Voice
- Jewish Music
- Music of the Great Liturgies
- Sacred Music Administration
- The Organ in Worship and Congregational Life
- Vocal Pedagogy Practicum
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology Pedagogy View 238 other Masters in Pedagogy in United States
- You must hold a degree considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree, as evaluated by the USC Office of Graduate & International Admission.
- Your college or university must be recognized by the appropriate governmental ministry as a degree-granting institution.
- All transcripts and degree certificates/diplomas must be written in the original language of instruction.
- Official transcripts must show all courses and subjects taken and all grades (marks) received.
- Official transcripts must be sent directly to USC by the college or university.
- Applicants to programs in Choral and Sacred Music must submit an audition recording (video format preferred for undergraduate applicants, required for graduate applicants) to be evaluated by the faculty. The results of the first round of consideration will determine whether an applicant will advance to the second round of consideration.
International65120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32560 USD per semester during 24 months.
National65120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32560 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.