Our department boasts alumni distinguished by the diversity of their contributions to the choral art, including music directors of renowned professional ensembles such as the Los Angeles Master Chorale, directors of choral activities at leading university schools of music, such as the University of Michigan, and composers of choral music published by Oxford University Press, ECS Publishing, Peer International, Faber & Faber, and Walton. Our faculty sets the international standard for choral conducting, literature, and composition. Jo-Michael Scheibe is National Vice President of ACDA, and is in constant demand as a choral clinician internationally. Apply to the Choral Music MM program offered at University of Southern California.
Nick Strimple authored the leading books on nineteenth- and twentieth-century choral literature, and regularly appears internationally as a lecturer, composer, and conductor. Cristian Grases is on the Board of Directors of the International Choral Federation and is a frequent clinician at all-state festivals. Morten Lauridsen is the country’s most distinguished composer of choral music and recipient of the National Medal of Arts.
One public recital is required of all candidates for the Master of Music degree (Choral Music), as indicated below. Candidates must apply for recital dates, according to the current guidelines of the Music Operations office. Some departments require that a candidate be prepared to play or conduct the recital program for the approval of a faculty committee in advance.
- Individual Instruction Voice
- Choral Conducting
- Choral Development
- Choral Literature
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Research Materials and Techniques
- Instrumental Conducting
- Directed Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Liberal Arts Pedagogy View 1087 other Masters in Music in United States
- You must hold a degree considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree, as evaluated by the USC Office of Graduate & International Admission.
- Your college or university must be recognized by the appropriate governmental ministry as a degree-granting institution.
- All transcripts and degree certificates/diplomas must be written in the original language of instruction.
- Official transcripts must show all courses and subjects taken and all grades (marks) received.
- Official transcripts must be sent directly to USC by the college or university.
- A choral ensemble performance of a minimum of 10 minutes and a rehearsal of a minimum of 10 minutes conducted by the applicant, including choral works from several periods and styles, with at least one being a twentieth/twenty-first century composition.
International65120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32560 USD per semester during 24 months.
National65120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32560 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.