Each student is encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor to design a program to study specific educational problems. Because educational issues tend to be complex, interdisciplinary inquiry is often a part of this concentration. The size of this program is controlled, providing students with a personally and professionally meaningful experience.The program mission is to help students:
- Develop skills necessary for ongoing critical inquiry concerning ways that educational aims and practices reflect and emerge from taken-for-granted cultural assumptions as well as formal institutional and political policies.
- Develop an understanding of the ways professional aims and practices are embedded in institutions and reflect their socio-historical contexts and cultural assumptions;
- Increase awareness of historically pertinent and current issues related to schooling;
- Develop an understanding of moral and political assumptions that affect schooling, and how these shape political relationships, particularly with regard to social justice and environmental sustainability;
- Expand and refine academic discipline-based skills.
- Introduction to Research in Educational Settings
- Human Nature and Diversity
- Culture and Politics in Educational Institutions
- Socio-Cultural Studies of Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 3686 other Masters in Education in United States
- Copy of passport identification page
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Complete high school or post-secondary education transcripts
- $100 non-refundable application fee
- Proof of sufficient funds for the first academic year of study at WMU according to estimated cost of attendance
- A resume or curriculum vitae (CV) is required
- Three recommendations
- Written statement
International15556 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15556 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National15556 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15556 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Many WMU students benefit from scholarships. There are a wide variety of scholarships available for many students. Be sure to take advantage of researching and applying for scholarships and grants.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.