The Urban Design degree from Kent State University seeks to develop knowledgeable specialists who possess significant ability to identify opportunities in the urban environment an the sensibility to provide for design solutions to the most complex problems encountered.
Faculty work in close collaboration with students through rigorous curricula focused on the application of research in the design of layered and mutually reinforcing systems and public spaces.
Projects range from neighborhood plans to large scale urban and regional initiatives engaging cultural and environmental concerns. Project locations are often in Cleveland and similar regional cities, but they address far-reaching global concerns. Students can engage in applied research in the re-design of “Cities Growing Smaller,” systemic approaches to the development of urban environments, considerations of place and identity and the place-making potential of infrastructure. Further directions include the design of cities and neighborhoods that promote physical and mental health, studies of sustainable infrastructures that support sustainable ecological systems, the adaptation of traditional models of urbanism to changing conditions, and the future of urban economies as it relates to physical place-making.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to build abstract relationships and understand the impact of ideas based on research and analysis of multiple theoretical, social, political, economic, cultural and environmental contexts. This includes the wider range of media used to think about urban and regional design, including writing, investigative skills, speaking, drawing and model making.
- Develop an ability to utilize the technical instruments of the urban design field including: legal instruments, urban systems and their organization, the role of these varied elements in the implementation of design and their impact on the environment. This is inclusive of understanding and abilities at a range of scales from local to regional design and the implications of policy and design decision making at these ranges of scale.
- Manage, advocate and act legally, ethically and critically for the good of society and the public. This includes collaborative, professional and leadership skills, especially in the public arena.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Practice: Real Estate and Development
- Forces That Shape Cities
- Urban Design Studio
- Master Project in Urban Design Preparation
- Masters Project in Urban Design
- Community Development Process
- Urban Systems
- Urban Ecological Systems
- Special Topics in Urban Design
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
For timely consideration of the application, it is recommended applicants submit a complete application at least one month before the start of the semester.
DisciplinesDesign Landscape Architecture Urban Planning View 175 other Masters in Landscape Architecture in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- GRE scores
- Goal statement (include intent and background information)
- Portfolio (design work should clearly indicate role in group projects)
- Three letters of recommendation, with one letter from a non-academic source
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State9648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9648 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.