What you will learn
In addition to receiving an unparalleled master's education in the craft of writing, candidates at the Writing for Screen & Television MFA program offered at University of Southern California also benefit from the University's ties to the industry's top writers, directors, production companies, and studios in Los Angeles, yielding an array of internship and mentorship opportunities.
During the course of their studies, students benefit from a wide array of internship and mentorship opportunities available as a result of the university's close links to the Los Angeles film industry's top screenwriters, directors, production companies and studios.
Course work includes practical instruction in everything a working writer needs to learn about the filmmaker's art and craft. Writing is taught in small workshop-style classes. The approach focuses on the visual tools of storytelling, developing stories from characters and then on an Aristotelian three act structure. Fractured narratives, ensemble stories, experiments with time and points of view, as well as other idiosyncratic styles of storytelling, are also addressed.
The curriculum covers other professional concerns, including legal issues, agents and the Writer's Guild, as well as the history and analysis of cinema and television. Classes are taught by working writers with a wide variety of skills, experience and approaches.
- Writing the Short Script
- Dramatic Screenwriting
- Advanced Hour-Long Television Drama
- Advanced Half-Hour Television Comedy
- Practicum in Directing Actors for Film
- Graduate Writing Symposium
- Advanced Motion Picture Script Analysis
- Advanced Half-Hour Comedy Series Pilot
- Advanced Hour-Long Drama Series Pilot
- The Business of Writing for Screen and Television
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Creative Writing View 326 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
Cinematic Arts Supplemental Materials:
- Autobiographical Character Sketch
- Creative Challenges (A & B)
- Most Challenging Moment
- Writing Sample (Maximum of 10 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Creative Portfolio List
- Letters of Recommendation (3).
- Submit the General USC Graduate Application for Admission
- Submit Supplemental Materials via the SlideRoom Application
- Send Official Academic Transcripts
- Submit Official English Proficiency Test Scores (International Applicants Only)
- Apply for SCA Scholarships (Optional).
International49147 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 49147 USD per year during 24 months.
National49147 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 49147 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.