The Teaching English as Second Language program from Kent State University enables students to teach effectively in varied learning contexts. Students gain experience through a supervised practicum and have the opportunity to teach in a variety of English-as-a-second/foreign-language contexts. Graduates are prepared for international teaching and research, adult education, and advanced study in applied linguistics. literacy positions.
The Teaching English as a Second Language major comprises the following optional concentration:
The TESL Education concentration prepares students for P-12 school educators. Students' practicum takes place in area schools, and students prepare for the state licensure requirements.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of different associated fields within teaching English as a second language, including linguistics, language acquisition, pedagogy and practice.
- Demonstrate what knowledge of the field and disciplines making up teaching English as a second language.
- Demonstrate skills in teaching.
- Demonstrate understanding of different cultural norms and practices and the ability to accommodate teaching practices based on these differences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Methodology of TESL
- Theories in Second Language Acquisition
- Linguistics for the Language Professionals
- Descriptive Grammar of English
- Literate Practices and Sociolinguistics
- Heritage Languages and Second Language Learning
- Practicum in Teaching International Students
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
For timely consideration of the application, it is recommended applicants submit a complete application at least one month before the start of the semester.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching English View 211 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement (1-2 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State9648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9648 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.