The goal of this Teaching and Learning MM program offered by University of Southern California is to prepare the student for an advanced level of pre-college teaching and leadership in the music education profession by developing core knowledge and expertise in pedagogical skills and scholarship. It provides a seamless transition into the DMA in Teaching and Learning, with most units being transferable to the DMA requirements.
Capstone and Guidance Committee
A thesis or final project is required for candidates as a capstone for the Master of Music in Teaching and Learning. The thesis will consist of a research document written on a topic approved by the Music Teaching and Learning department; the final project will consist of a creative project that will present the arrangement, production or design of innovative ideas, materials or curricula for specific applications in teaching music. Before registering for 594a Thesis or 590 and 592 (for the project option), a student must establish a guidance committee composed of three members of the faculty, approved by the department chair, of which at least two are from the home department. The chair of the guidance committee directly supervises the preparation of the thesis, the final acceptance of which is based upon the unanimous recommendation of all three members of the committee.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Curriculum and Pedagogy in Urban Schools
- Contexts for Educational Equity, Access, and Agency
- Integrated Language Development Across the Curriculum
- Identifying and Teaching to Student Differences
- Literacy Development and Instruction in Elementary Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Pedagogy Teaching View 175 other Masters in Pedagogy in United States
- Online application
- Scanned copies of university-issued official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless of whether credit or a degree was earned)
- Essay and two short answer responses
- Two letters of recommendation
- Submit prerequisite coursework
- Competency requirements (CBEST/CSET)
- International applicants only: TOEFL or IELTS scores.
International59260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59260 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National59260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59260 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.