The Spanish major comprises the following concentrations:
- The Applied Linguistics and Pedagogy concentration is intended primarily for students who wish to teach in elementary and secondary schools or beginning and intermediate levels of post-secondary study, and to increase their effectiveness as teachers.
- The Languages, Literature and Culture concentration is intended for those who wish to increase their knowledge of literature and culture along with their command of the language for various purposes. Applications to the Languages, Literature and Culture concentration are not being accepted at this time.
Graduates of this Spanish program from Kent State University will be able to:
- Communicate in Spanish at advanced mid or higher proficiency level as measured by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview Test and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test
- Demonstrate skills in the analysis of Spanish Peninsular, Latin American or Hispanic culture, literature and language
- Demonstrate an ability to carry out and present research projects in their respective concentration areas
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and skills in their respective concentration area
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Hispanic Culture
- Advanced Spanish Composition and Conversation
- Approaches to Literature and Culture
- Teaching Literature and Culture
- Literary and Cultural Translation
- Second Language Research Methods
- Graduate Research and Writing in Translation Studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
For timely consideration of the application, it is recommended applicants submit a complete application at least one month before the start of the semester.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Pedagogy Linguistics View 982 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- A CD or MP3/wav file with a 5-10-minute oral sample in both applicant's first and second languages (conversational, not read from a script)
- Writing sample(s) in applicant's second language, which should be accompanied by a signed declaration that the sample is original work and that the applicant received no help in its preparation. International applicants should also submit a writing sample in English.
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State9648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9648 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.