Our Urban and Regional Planning program at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign prepares leaders in the planning profession by providing intellectual grounding and advanced skills. The program can also serve as a springboard for advanced research and the planning PhD.
The MUP is a 2-year, professional degree program. MUP students work with our faculty who are leading innovative research in planning. Together, we discover creative and multidisciplinary solutions to growing urban problems.
Our graduates pursue a wide range of positions in:
- local and county government planning and development departments
- private sector consulting, design, and engineering firms
- non-profit neighborhood organizations, advocacy groups, think tanks, and international organizations
- metropolitan planning organizations, transit agencies, and other regional agencies
- state and federal government agencies
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Planning History and Theory
- Physical Planning
- Urban History and Theory
- Urban and Regional Analysis
- Plan Making
- Law and Planning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Urban Planning View 414 other Masters in Architecture in United States
- The most frequent are sociology, economics, political science, geography, environmental sciences, architecture, engineering, public administration, urban planning, and public policy, but the natural sciences, humanities, and other fields also provide excellent foundations for graduate study in planning.
- Prospective students must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 computed from the last 60 hours of undergraduate work and any subsequent graduate study, but the average GPA of admitted students is considerably higher.
- All applicants must submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for the tests of verbal, quantitative, and analytical ability. International applicants must meet additional minimum requirements based on their country of origin, including the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
International29614 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29614 USD per year during 24 months.
National29614 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29614 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State14326 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14326 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Urbana
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.