The Master of Arts degree in Theatre Studies at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign is an advanced academic program designed to nurture research and critical skills, knowledge, and professional skills for the potential theatre educator, scholar, and theatre professional.
The program emphasizes the critical study of theatre history and performance in an interdisciplinary approach. It offers many opportunities for engagement as dramaturgs, directors, and creative artists.
- The Master of Arts degree in Theatre Studies may be completed within one year over the course of three semesters. Students must fulfill 32 hours of course work in theatre and related studies.
- Of these 32, 12 hours must be in courses numbered 500 or higher. Two semesters in residence are required. Internships may be required for those seeking to pursue professional careers.
- At least 16 hours of theatre history, literature and theory to be selected from approved courses.
- A final portfolio or presentation is required.
- At least 8 hours in theatre-related courses such as dramaturgy, acting, directing, design, digital media, museum studies, theatre technology, photography, storytelling, stage management, etc.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 320 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- Official transcripts of all previous college work.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from instructors of the applicant’s theatre and drama classes (sent separately by the letter writers).
- A statement of professional intentions.
- A resume of activities in theatrical production.
- Foreign students must also submit recent official scores of the TOEFL Internet-based Test (iBT). Applicants should also submit financial certification statements.
International29614 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29614 USD per year during 12 months.
National29614 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29614 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14326 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14326 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Urbana
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.