The Cultural Studies program offered by the University of the West Indies aims to promote the discipline at UWI as an important area of study and research and, by so doing, to stimulate academic discourse and promote understanding of Caribbean culture and identity.
Graduates with M.Phil. in Cultural Studies from the University of the West Indies will be able to:
- engage with and explore the concept of Cultural Studies in a Caribbean context.
- study and document the historical range and diversity of Caribbean peoples and their cultures.
- examine the many facets of Caribbean cultural expression in an interdisciplinary context and from a variety of theoretical perspectives
- explore the relationships between Caribbean culture and the social and political developments of the region
- analyse the uses and abuses of the Caribbean's cultural heritage in the economic development of the region and its people.•
- critique the formation and existence of gender hierarchies in the Caribbean and the normalising effects of culture.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Dynamics of Caribbean Culture
- Theory & Conceptualisation of Culture.
- Methods of Inquiry in Cultural Studies
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 6 other Masters in History in Barbados
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application Processing Fee (BDS $30 for applicants from contributing countries OR US $30 for applicants from a non-contributing countries)
- Birth Certificate (certified or notarized copy)
- Curriculum Vitae (2 copies)
- Two (2) Referee reports (PDF)
- Professional Certificates/Diplomas
- Marriage Certificate (where applicable) (certified or notarised copy)
- Legal Affidavit or deed poll if your present name is different from that on the Birth Certificate (certified or notarised copy)
- Research proposal- 2-3 pages, outlining the area of research, the problem being investigated, the reason you wish to research this area, and the proposed methodology.
International6175 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18525 USD for the full programme during 36 months.
- International students Part-Time: 9525 USD
- UGC-Funded for national students: BDS$ 6,000.00 and 3,000.00 for part time option per year.
Living costs for Bridgetown
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.