The Master of Building Science MBS program offered at University of Southern California is intended for students with a degree in architecture, engineering or related areas. The typical program length is two years. Students with a professional five-year architecture degree may qualify for advanced standing. Studies are centered around each student’s thesis and are supported by research seminars and electives from architecture, engineering and other related fields. Students are individually guided through their study and thesis by three faculty advisors.
The faculty has academic, research and professional practice experience in architecture, civil and structural engineering, environmental control system design, and computer applications. Many papers based on thesis work have been co-authored by faculty and students have been published and/or presented at professional conferences.
The need exists for a new generation of professionals whose education has prepared them to fully participate in bringing appropriate technology to the building and rebuilding of humane and supportive cities.
Within this context, the program emphasizes:
- The integration of planning, design and technology to form a coherent and interdependent force for the appropriate construction of urban places
- Recognition of the ecological importance of energy-conscious design and construction as well as the high social value of places in which natural forces and systems are being utilized rather than suppressed
- The development of research and design methods suited to the complexity of building in urban settings and effective in the use of extensive information.
- Designing with Natural Forces
- Architectural Sustainability Tools and Methods
- Theories of Computer Technology
- Material + Process: Material Systems
- Current Topics in Building Science
- Advanced Surface Tectonics: Methods in Material and Enclosure
- Sustainability in the Environment: Infrastructures, Urban Landscapes, and Buildings
- Conservation Methods and Materials
- Sustainable Conservation of the Historic Built Environment
- Descriptive and Computational Architectural Geometry
- Seismic Design
- Parametric Design
- Sustainable Design for Healthy Indoor Environments
- Lighting Design
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Civil Engineering & Construction Materials Science & Engineering View 349 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- USC Graduate Online Application
- Application fee
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Resume and/or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Intent
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Portfolio and/or Writing Sample
- English Proficiency Requirement
- Financial Document(s) and Passport Copies.
International60446 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30223 USD per semester during 24 months.
National60446 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30223 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.