Designed collaboratively by faculty in mathematical sciences and teacher education, the program is for in-service teachers and features both mathematics and education classes. The program does not lead to Ohio teacher licensure.
Graduates of this Mathematics for Secondary School Teachers program from Kent State University will be able to:
- Reason in mathematical arguments, including using precise definitions, articulating assumptions and reasoning logically to conclusions.
- Engage effectively in problem solving, including exploring examples, devising and testing conjectures and assessing the correctness of solutions.
- Approach mathematical problems creatively, including trying multiple approaches and modifying problems when necessary to make them more tractable.
- Communicate mathematics clearly both orally and in writing.
- Teach high school-level mathematics.
- Understand and appreciate connections among different subdisciplines of mathematics.
- Be aware of and understand a broad range of mathematical subdisciplines.
- Obtain a broader and deeper understanding of algebra, geometry and analysis and their interpretation in the K-12 curriculum.
- Teaching Mathematics Using Computers and Calculators
- Research in Mathematics Education
- Seminar in Mathematics Education
- Theory of Matrices
- Graph Theory And Combinatorics
- Advanced Calculus
- Numerical Computing
- Euclidean Geometry
- Linear Geometry
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
For timely consideration of the application, it is recommended applicants submit a complete application at least one month before the start of the semester.
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Teaching View 3211 other Masters in Education in United States
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics or mathematics education (or in another discipline plus mathematics coursework equivalent to an undergraduate program in mathematics education) from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency
International17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD per year during 36 months.
National17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State9648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9648 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.