Suitable for both experienced teachers and newcomers to the field, this Master's degree is designed for students who plan to teach English as a second, foreign or additional language (ESL, EFL, EAL) in the UK or internationally, as well as students who plan to work or do research in the contexts of teacher education, teacher training, management, course design, materials development, policy design, language analysis and/or assessment.
This Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) programme offered by The University of Edinburgh will lead you into an exploration of evidence based research at the frontiers of language learning, methodology and curriculum design. It will investigate learning centred ‘learnscapes’, enabling you not only to practise but to contribute to knowledge in these areas.
You will learn to design, implement and evaluate substantial research or development tasks, and adapt your planning and teaching approaches to the 21st century demands of rapidly changing teaching and learning contexts and circumstances.
You will graduate with expanded minds and hearts; with professional knowledge, understanding and enhanced confidence in your ability to teach the English language across widely differing contexts.
With a strong foundation in teaching and research, our students are employed worldwide in all areas of the English language teaching profession.
Examples roles include:
- training other TESOL teachers
- management of TESOL education
- teaching English at primary, secondary or tertiary level
- teaching English in specialised fields (for example, business English)
- designing TESOL curricula, materials and policies
Representatives from international teacher recruitment agencies visit our campus every year to talk to our students and conduct on-campus recruitment interviews with shortlisted candidates for TESOL-related posts.
The MSc is a good introduction to an advanced research degree. You will also develop a range of highly transferable communication and professional skills which can be applied to roles in any field.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Language and the Learner
- Second Language Teaching Curriculum
- TESOL Methodology
- Sources of Knowledge: Understanding and analysing research literature
- Conceptualising Research: Foundations, Assumptions and Praxis
Option courses are subject to change each year but may include:
- Bilingual Education
- Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching
- Critical literacies and critical pedagogies in L1 and L2 contexts
- Evaluation and Design of TESOL Materials
- Global Englishes for Language Teaching
- Investigating Individual Learner Differences
- Language and Intercultural Communication Pedagogy
- Language Awareness for Second Language Teachers
- Language Testing
- Online Language Learning
- Second Language Teacher Education
- Teaching Languages to Young Learners
- Teaching Texts Across Borders - from picture books to teenage fiction and film
- Text, Discourse and Language Teaching
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Linguistics View 871 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline. Previous teaching experience is not required.
- Alternatively, you may be considered on the basis of employment or relevant experience; please contact us to check.
- If you are studying at a Chinese 211 institution, you must have a minimum overall average of 80% for courses and at least 80% on the dissertation. For non-211 institutions, you must have an average of 85% for courses and 80% on the dissertation.
International22850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22850 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA11300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time MSc fees per year
- Home/EU: £630 per 10 cr / £1,255 per 20 cr / £3,770 per 60 cr
- International: £1,270 per 10 cr / £2,540 per 20 cr / £7,620 per 60 cr
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.