Number of scholarships to award
- tuition fee reduction
- living expenses
Newcastle University is proud to support equal access to higher education and is pleased to offer sanctuary scholarships consisting of full tuition fee support and a bursary for living expenses for applicants wishing to study at the University. The scholarships have been designed to enable students from asylum-seeker backgrounds to progress to higher level study.
The scholarship is worth full tuition fees and living expenses.
The following categories of applicants can apply under this scheme:
- asylum seekers;
- children of asylum seekers and unaccompanied asylum-seeking children;
- applicants with refugee status (ineligible for Student Finance government funding);
- Applicants must be living in the UK at the time that they apply for consideration under the scheme. Priority will be given to applicants from the North East of England (Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Northumberland, Cleveland and North Cumbria).
- Applicants must have applied for a place on a Newcastle University degree programme. Priority will be given to applicants applying for their first degree.
- Their predicted grades must meet the entry requirements for the degree concerned.
- Applicants must meet the English language criteria for their course or have relevant qualifications to indicate their English language competency.
- Applicants must be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance England or a local authority grant.
Study experience required
Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship must be made using our online form.
Applicants will be required to upload proof of their immigration status and a reference.
The reference letter is an important part of the selection process and must address the below points.
What are the applicant’s personal and financial circumstances and what barriers have they overcome to continue their education?
How well suited is the applicant to the higher education course they plan to undertake, and how realistic are the applicant’s ambitions?
What contribution, to your knowledge, has the applicant made to their community, or to school/college life (if applicable)?
Is there any other information that you believe is relevant to this application?
How do you think the applicant would benefit from the support offered by the Sanctuary Scholarship?
Applications will only be considered if they are accompanied by a reference that is signed, dated, and on letterhead.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
DISCLAIMER – Subject to credit approval, loans are made by Bank of Lake Mills or MPOWER Financing, PBC. Bank of Lake Mills does not have an ownership interest in MPOWER Financing. Neither MPOWER Financing nor Bank of Lake Mills is affiliated with the school you attended or are attending. Bank of Lake Mills is Member FDIC. None of the information contained in this website constitutes a recommendation, solicitation or offer by MPOWER Financing or its affiliates to buy or sell any securities or other financial instruments or other assets or provide any investment advice or service. 2022 © MPOWER Financing, Public Benefit Corporation NMLS ID #1233542. 1101 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 900, Washington, DC 20036
© Prodigy Finance Limited 2007 - 2022. All Rights Reserved. Prodigy Finance Limited is incorporated in the United Kingdom (Company Number 05912562) with its registered address at 85 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 7LT and registered with the Office of the Information Commissioner (Reg. No. Z9851854). Prodigy Finance is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (firm registration number 709641) for certain consumer credit activities. Prodigy Finance loans are offered to eligible borrowers and these loans are governed by English law.