Every year, Times Higher Education conducts a large invitation-only survey that asks excellent academics from all over the world for their subjective judgement about the world's most excellent universities. It is a spin-off of their Times Higher Education World University Ranking.
Recently, the 2017 edition of their Top 100 ranking comparing the reputation of universities worldwide was published. U.S. institutions are still dominating the 2017 ranking but Europe's universities are catching up and increasingly gaining reputation.
With 75 universities in total, the UK is home to nearly a third of the 31 European universities.
In contrast, Germany and the Netherlands are on the rise, taking the second place with 41 universities and 13 universities respectively in the Top 800.
Later in each year, Times Higher Education will publish their new edition of the World University Ranking that does not only take reputation but also other performance indicators in the areas teaching, research, citations, industry income and international outlook into account.
European universities in the Times Higher Education Reputation Ranking
- University of Oxford (UK)
- University of Cambridge (UK)
- Imperial College London (UK)
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich (Switzerland)
- University College London (UK)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (UK)
- University of Edinburgh (UK)
- Karolinska Institute (Sweden)
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland)
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Germany)
- King's College London (UK)
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)
- Universität Heidelberg (Germany)
- Technische Universität München (Germany)
- University of Manchester (UK)
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Germany)
- Delft University of Technology (Netherlands)
- University of Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- Wageningen University and Research Center (Netherlands)
- École Normale Supérieure (France)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (Netherlands)
- University of Bristol (UK)
- Freie Universität Berlin (Germany)
- Leiden University (Netherlands)
- RWTH Aachen University (Germany)
- University of Groningen (Netherlands)
- Technical University of Berlin (Germany)
- University of Warwick (UK)
- Utrecht University (Netherlands)
- University of Glasgow (UK)
- University of Tübingen (Germany)