Thousands of Ukrainian refugees have reached Austria by March 2022. The country, like all other European Union countries, grant temporary protection to people displaced from Ukraine due to the armed conflict there.
Check the UN Refugee Agency in Austria for further details and also this Federal Agency for Reception and Support Services page.
A hotline has been set up by the Federal Chancellery for central questions of Ukrainian refugees. Consultations are offered in German and Russian in addition to Ukrainian.
Austria is home to many prestigious universities and has a vibrant international student community. This Studyinaustria.com page dedicated for students from Ukraine provides detailed information on scholarships, funding, study opportunities, housing, and other support. The MORE programme is an Austrian initiative providing people with a refugee background access to public universities.
Below, you’ll find some of the support programmes and initiatives for displaced Ukrainian students:
- Austria's Agency for Education and Internationalisation (OeAD) provides support and information for refugee students and researchers about entry, residence, and employment in Austria.
- Find general information about qualification recognition and education in the Austria on the country’s dedicated ENIC-NARIC page, the European networks in charge of informing people about academic and professional mobility, and on procedures for the recognition of foreign qualifications.
Scholarships and financial aid
- Students with Ukrainian citizenship are to have their tuition fees for the summer semester 2022 waived or refunded, according to the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research in Austria (official document here).
- To help students who are affected by the war, the Austrian Students' Union (ÖH) offers the chance to receive emergency financial aid of up to € 1,000 per person from the ÖH.
- MCI - The Entrepreneurial School may spontaneously grant up to 10 scholarships for Ukrainian students (each worth up to € 15,000 per year, reducing the tuition fee. In addition, a limited number of internship opportunities may be provided.
- WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business) - Anyone interested in MBA or LL.M. programs can have personal MBA and LL.M. consultations from our team of education advisors.
- TU Wien supports students and scientists from Ukraine and Russia with immediately effective aid measures and offers. Vienna University of Technology offers no tuition fees for Ukrainian students, scholarships etc.
Study programmes and opportunities
All Austrian universities have implemented support measures for Ukrainian students such as simplified admission conditions. No tuition fees will be collected from students with Ukrainian citizenship in Austria for the summer semester 2022.
- Here is a list of 15 universities in Austria providing support for Ukrainian students. For detailed information, please contact the respective university directly.
- Check out this brochure in Ukrainian explaining the Austrian higher education system and providing information on study programmes and scholarships.
- The MORE program at WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business) currently offers 30 study places. For researchers: The Vienna University of Economics and Business is also involved in the “Scholars at Risk network”. As part of this network, WU Vienna is available as a host university to scholars who are no longer able to continue their research in their home countries. In addition, psychological counselling services will be available as part of WU’s Student Counselling program.
- Additional places for Ukrainian students at the University of Applied Arts Vienna. Further information regarding specific dates, procedures and required documents will be available here from 5 April 2022.
- The WIST Heim can offer free student housing until the end of August for 15 Ukrainian students who want to begin to study or continue their studies at Johannes Kepler University Linz (JKU).
- Johannes Kepler University Linz (JKU) supports Ukrainian students and researchers by providing a lot of useful information. (jobs, healthcare, support services, etc.)
- Key information about the Education System in Austria, on the Eurydice Austria overview Page
- This European Commission information page offers key information about your rights with regard to crossing the border into an EU country, eligibility for temporary protection and applying for international protection, as well as the rights of travel inside the European Union.
* Please note we give our best to constantly update the information posted here, but we may not be able to track all specific changes that may occur.