And while Dutch universities have reasonable tuition fees and policies, sometimes costs can add up and exceed a student’s budget. That’s why we’ve decided to find some of the most affordable universities in the Netherlands.
What you need to know about tuition fees in the Netherlands
Here are a few things to keep in mind about tuition costs and paying tuition at Dutch universities:
- Students from the EU/EEA, Switzerland and Surinam enjoy lower tuition while studying in the Netherlands.
- Tuition fees listed in this article generally only apply to EU/EEA students.
- Non-EU students usually have to pay higher tuition fees (between 6,000 and 20,000 EUR per academic year), but there are some cases where they can pay the same amount as an EU student.
- Non-EU students can find tuition fees that apply to them by clicking on the university link and exploring programmes offered by the institution.
- We’ve created these lists based on the programmes and higher education institutions on Mastersportal and Bachelorsportal. This means the lists don’t feature every single university. You might be able to find other affordable degrees or universities in the Netherlands.
- Universities can add or remove programmes periodically. If a university on these lists no longer offers an affordable degree, simply use the filters on our portals to find other universities that do.
Learn more about tuition and living costs in the Netherlands.
Affordable universities in the Netherlands offering Bachelor’s degrees
- Leiden University – Bachelors start at 542 EUR/year
- Wageningen University and Research – Bachelors start at 1,084 EUR/year
- Breda University of Applied Sciences – Bachelors start at 1,084 EUR/year
- Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen – Bachelors start at 1,084 EUR/year
- Radboud University – Bachelors start at 2,209 EUR/year
- Maastricht University – Bachelors start at 2,168 EUR/year
- Tilburg University – Bachelors start at 2,205 EUR/year
Affordable universities in the Netherlands offering Master’s degrees
- Radboud University – Masters start at 2,209 EUR/year
- Maastricht University – Masters start at 2,168 EUR/year
- Erasmus University Rotterdam – Masters start at 2,168 EUR/year
- University of Twente – Masters start at 2,168 EUR/year
- Wageningen University and Research – Masters start at 1,084 EUR/year
- NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences – Masters start at 2,143 EUR/year
- EIT Digital – Masters start at 1,500 EUR/year
Scholarships for international students in the Netherlands
Financial support is available in the form of scholarships, grants, student loans or even rent subsidies. These are offered by the Dutch government, public universities, or other private organisations.