Congratulations on choosing to study a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Latvia, one of the greenest countries in Europe. You’ll enjoy some of the fastest internet speeds in the world and stunning natural landscapes.
But what are the main steps international students should follow to apply to a Latvian university? Let’s find out!
1. Find a Latvian university to apply to
To get you started, here are some of the top-ranked universities in Latvia:
- Riga Technical University
- Riga Stradins University
- University of Latvia
- Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
Find other universities in Latvia.
2. Learn where to submit your university application
Latvia doesn’t employ a universal application system. As an international student, you need to check out the procedure at each university.
This procedure can involve both filling in an online application form and sending your documents (usually translated copies), either online or by post.
3. Meet the university entry requirements
Below, we’ve listed some of the most common admission criteria at universities in Latvia:
- submitted application form
- proof of paying the application fee (if applicable)
- high school diploma (to apply for a Bachelor’s)
- Bachelor’s diploma (to apply for a Master’s)
- transcript of records
- proof of English proficiency
- proof of financial resources (to live and study there)
- medical certificate
- passport-sized photo(s)
- copy of valid passport and/or personal ID
- letter(s) of recommendation
- personal statement
- online interview (only at some universities)
4. Meet the language requirements
To study an English-taught degree in Latvia, you will need to demonstrate your language skills are high enough. To do this, you need to pass one of these international tests:
Learn more about IELTS vs TOEFL vs PTE Academic.
5. Apply before the application deadlines
Latvian universities have two main admission periods:
- autumn intake: deadlines in July-August
- winter intake: deadlines in December-January
Of course, each university can make changes to these timelines, so always keep an eye on the official dates. In some cases, deadlines can change depending on your nationality, so don’t hesitate to ask the university for more information before applying.
6. Final steps after receiving your acceptance letter
- confirm your enrolment after receiving the acceptance letter/university offer
- apply for a student visa in Latvia
- apply for medical insurance
- search for scholarships and grants. You can also apply for our Studyportals Scholarship: International Distinction Awards.