When you think about studying an English-taught Master’s degree abroad, Russia might not be the first country that comes to your mind. It might surprise you to learn that the top universities and colleges in Russia offer hundreds of degrees dedicated to international students.
With top-quality higher education, affordable tuition fees, and numerous sights worth visiting, it’s easy to see why so many students choose to study in Russia every year. But is it the right choice for you?
Let’s look at the best universities and colleges in Russia and the courses they offer.
Best universities in Russia
Figuring out which universities are better than others would be quite a task for any student who’s simply trying to find the right degree programme abroad. Luckily for you (and for us), every year, international institutions create rankings with the best universities worldwide. Some of the most popular ones are: the Shanghai Ranking, the QS Ranking, the U.S. News Raking, and the World University Rankings.
University rankings measure various factors such as reputation, income and funding, internationality, and the results achieved by universities’ students. Here are some of the best universities in Russia, according to these prestigious rankings:
- Lomonosov Moscow State University
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT)
- ITMO University
- Saint-Petersburg State University
- Tomsk State University
Tuition fees at Russian universities
Tuition fees at these higher education institutions vary between 1,700 - 6,000 EUR/academic year, with only a few programmes costing more than 10,000 EUR. These programmes are incredibly affordable when compared to degrees offered in countries like the US, the UK, and other popular destinations, where costs can easily reach 20, 30, or even 40,000 EUR/year.
If these tuition fees are still too high for you, check out some Russian universities that offer free or lower tuition fees (under 2,100 EUR/academic year):
- Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech)
- Samara National Research University
- South Ural State University
Best Medical schools in Russia
Tuition fees range between 3,000 – 9,000 EUR/academic year.
Medical degrees are very popular among Asian students who decide to study abroad in Russia. Of course, the benefits they enjoy are also available to you. So, what attracts so many foreign students to the Medical schools in Russia?
- A very simple admission process, which usually involves no entrance test
- Fees for Medicine programmes are much lower when compared to other countries in the West
- Russian Medical degrees are recognised worldwide, including by organisations like the WHO and UNESCO
- Medicine degrees are available in English and French, although having basic knowledge of Russian can prove to be an advantage
- You don’t need to pass TOEFL or IELTS to study Medicine in Russia
- In India, the Russian MD degree (Doctor of Medicine) is equivalent to an MBBS degree
Russian Medical schools we recommend:
Best Engineering schools in Russia
Tuition fees range between 1,800 – 9,500 EUR/academic year.
With an impressive technical background, it’s easy to understand why many students choose to study Engineering degrees at universities in Russia. But what makes these schools stand out from the rest?
- Russian Engineering schools offer preparatory courses to make sure all students master the math and science concepts they’ll need
- After graduation, you’ll have numerous job opportunities at international companies
- While studying, you’ll be able to go for internships at local tech companies
Russian Engineering schools we recommend:
Best universities for Social Sciences in Russia
Tuition fees range between 2,000 – 15,000 EUR/academic year.
Social Sciences degrees include subfields like Cultural Studies, Economics, Geography, Sociology, etc. In Russia, you can become an expert in any of these subdisciplines without breaking the bank.
The Russian Federation’s experience in teaching Psychology or Political Science makes it an ideal option for international students who want to develop their understanding and approach some of the most complex psychological or political concepts and issues.
Russian Social Sciences schools we recommend:
Scholarships for international students in Russia
We’ve already mentioned that tuition fees in Russia are much lower than in other popular study destinations. But just because they’re low, it doesn’t mean you have to pay them.
The Russian Government offers thousands of scholarships (or quotas) to students. In 2020, for example, they offered 15,000 scholarships! Don’t hesitate to apply for one if you decide to study in Russia.
These scholarships include:
- Free tuition for the entire duration of your programme
- A monthly allowance worth around 23 EUR
- Accommodation in dormitories (only if it’s available)
Keep in mind that the scholarship will not cover costs related to your travel, living expenses or health insurance.
Ready to start studying in Russia?
Russia is making impressive efforts to attract students like you. They’ve recently launched an international campaign abroad, aiming to attract around 150,000 foreign students every year.
Studying abroad in top universities and colleges in Russia would definitely be a worthwhile experience. The climate, the culture, and the mentality are worth exploring and getting top education while doing it is an opportunity few can refuse. If moving abroad and studying full-time at a Russian university doesn’t fit your schedule, you should explore the online Master’s programmes available.
We wish you the best of luck and have a great study experience!