Studying in Greece is like going to the holy grail of higher studies and knowledge. Greeks were the first ones to develop the idea of higher education through philosophical schools set up… well… about 2 millennia ago.
If you want to be a part of this long academic tradition as an international student — and enjoy the sunny Mediterranean climate on the side — it’s time to get some up-to-date info about what you need to do to apply to a degree at a Greek university.
Search for the right degree and university in Greece
In order to apply to degree in Greece you first have to decide what you want to study. Splendid logic, huh? Joke aside, if you want to study an English-taught degree in Greece you have to search carefully because, unlike other countries, Greece only has a moderate number of Masters, taught in English. The most options you can choose from are in the following subject areas:
- Masters in Management in Greece
- Masters in Humanities in Greece
- Masters in Social Sciences in Greece
- Masters in Engineering in Greece
And some universities that are particularly internationally oriented:
- Alba Graduate Business School
- ELGS - European Law and Governance School
- Athens University of Economics and Business
- University of Crete
Admission requirements at Greek Universities
In order to apply to a Greek university you have to first make sure that your background makes you eligible.The basic admission criteria for different degrees are:
Admission requirements for a Bachelor’s
- a recognized secondary school certificate
- GPA of at least 10 on a scale from 10 to 20
- English language certificate for English-taught Bachelors (C1 Advanced, TOEFL, IELTS)
- Greek language certificate for all Bachelors (Greek universities require all their undergraduate students to know some Greek — if you are admitted to a Bachelor’s and you do not know Greek you will have to take a one-year preparatory course)
Admission requirements for a Master’s
- a Bachelor’s degree
- 2-4 years’ work experience (applies only to MBAs)
- English language certificate (C1 Advanced, TOEFL, IELTS) with a minimum grade score of B or 7 on a scale from 1.0 to 9.0
- GMAT scores of at least 500 (applies mostly to MBAs)
- GPA of at least 7, 5 on a scale from 1 to 10
Application process at Greek universities for Bachelor’s studies
As with the admission requirements, the application process varies according to the degree level you are applying to.
If you want to apply for a Bachelor’s degree you will have to submit your application documents electronically through the national admission platform managed by the Hellenic Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs.The good news is that because the system is centralized you can list in the online application as much as 20 undergraduate programmers to be considered for.
After that you also have to print and send the documents to the same government authority. We have been talking about these application documents, but what do they contain exactly? Here is the essential list:
- Application form
- photocopy of the certificate of equivalence of the candidate’s graduation certificate issued by the local Greek authority in your country (Embassy, Consulate)
- Transcript of records with your GPA
- a photocopy of the graduation certificate with an official Greek translation
- ID card type photograph
- photocopy of passport or ID card
- Proof of language skills (English, Greek)
The deadline for a applying to a Bachelor’s degree in Greece is usually in July. You will be notified about the results through an announcement on the Ministry website.
Application process at Greek universities for Master’s studies
By comparison, applying to a Master’s degree in Greece is much simpler, especially if you are going for an English-taught programme. There is no centralized system, so you have to apply directly through the programme and university website. The selection is also done by each university. This is why it’s important to become best friends with your chosen programme website by constantly reading and checking the admission procedure.
Typically the application documents for a Master’s degree include the following:
- Online Application Form
- Application Fee (50 euros)
- Academic Records
- Proof of English language skills if not native English speaker
- Personal Statement
- Scholarship Request (optional)
- 2 Reference Letters (if employed, one must be from current employer)
Additional requirements might be:
- Research Proposal
- Academic Writing Samples
- Your Bachelor’s thesis (translated into Greek or English)
Many graduate programmes in Greece accept applications on a rolling basis. However, since most programmes start in autumn, typical deadlines are May-July.
After you have been accepted at a Greek university
Whether it’s a Bachelor’s or Master’s programme you have been accepted to at Greek university, if you are from outside the EU/EEA, you will need a student visa.
Remember also that in the case you are going for a Bachelor’s degree and you don’t speak Greek you will have to take a preparatory year to learn the language before you can enrol at the university.
When you receive your letter of acceptance you will be guided about the next steps in enrolling at the Greek university and about the fees you will have to pay (if you are a non-EU student). To give you an idea about the costs of your studies in Greece here are some essential figures:
- Tuition fees at Greek universities for non-EU students: 2,000-4,000 EUR/year
- Living costs in Greece: 450-800 EUR/month
So what are you waiting for? Ready, set, apply!