Every year, Times Higher Education releases their rankings of the best higher education institutions in the world, based on relevant data gathered from universities all over the world. The most important markers follow information related to university teaching environment, institutional research and influence, industry income and internationality. Overall, 22 countries are represented in the top 200 list, which draws upon data from the 800 universities from 70 countries in the overall THE World University Rankings.
Leading universities from the European top 200 are equal or surpass many Ivy League universities from the United States, competing for the title of global higher education leader. The yearly list of top ranked universities offers students a great way to compare their international study options and decide what is the best undergraduate or graduate degree to pursue in the following academic year.
Here are a few notable developments to keep in mind for this academic year, according to Times Higher Education Rankings 2019:
- Nearly a quarter of the universities in the top 200 ranking are from the UK.
- The UK is followed by Germany, with over 40 institutions overall. This result is supported by excellent research opportunities and attractive conditions for international students.
- The countries with high performing universities compared to the size of their population are the Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Finland, and Denmark), Ireland and Switzerland.
Here are the top 20 universities in Europe, according to Times Higher Education European Rankings 2019:
- University of Oxford (UK)
- University of Cambridge (UK)
- Imperial College London (UK)
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich (Switzerland)
- University College London (UK)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (UK)
- University of Edinburgh (UK)
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Germany)
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland)
- King's College London (UK)
- Karolinska Institute (Sweden)
- PSL Research University Paris (France)
- Technische Universität München (Germany)
- Universität Heidelberg (Germany)
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)
- University of Manchester (UK)
- Delft University of Technology (Netherlands)
- Wageningen University and Research Center (Netherlands)
- University of Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Germany)
Also check out the top universities in the UK, Switzerland, France, and Netherlands, according to Times Higher Education 2019 and Shanghai Ranking 2018. Plus if you also want to see how students feel about some of these prestigious universities you can always check their reviews:
- Delft University of Technology
- Wageningen University and Research Center
- University of Edinburgh
- King's College London
- École Normale Supérieure