Australia is the third most popular destination for international students in the world. Five of its cities are among the best student cities on the globe. The facilities that universities have are also impressive.
There are plenty of reasons why Australia is considered a destination that has a world-class higher education. But before you can embark on your study trip to Australia, you should know more about what you need to do for your student visa even before your arrival.
Want to go straight to reading about Australian student visa requirements for your country? Check out a few examples below:
- Indian students applying for the Australian visa
- Indonesian students applying for the Australian visa
- Nigerian students applying for the Australian visa
- Students from the Philippines applying for the Australian visa
1. Decide on a university to apply to and get your acceptance letter
If you’re still not sure where you want to study in Australia, you will have to decide before you can start your student visa application process. After being accepted at an Australian university, you’ll get an acceptance letter required for visa application.
Find the right universities depending on the discipline you want to study:
- Masters in Environmental Science in Australia
- Masters in Information Sciences in Australia
- Masters in Business in Australia
- Masters in Architecture in Australia
- Masters in Journalism in Australia
Consider some of the best universities in Australia
- University of Queensland
- RMIT University
- University of Tasmania
- University of Adelaide
- Charles Darwin University
Apply right now to a Master’s in Australia
You can now apply with Studyportals to one of our partner universities in Australia. You can apply whenever you want, and it won't cost you anything.
Check the available Masters and see which of the degrees match your background and interests. Start the application process by filling in your student profile. You will soon get contacted by one of our application counsellors who will assist you further. We’ll then apply on your behalf.
2. Check if you need a student visa for AustraliaUnless you come from New Zealand, you will need to apply for the Australian student visa. For the rest of you, sorry. You'll have to apply for the Australian students visa. But don't worry. If you have the funds, the right information, patience and the required paperwork you'll get your visa without problems. The visa application process can vary a lot depending on your nationality, so it's best to start the application process as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from the Australian university where you want to study your degree.
3. Find out what type of visa you need to study in Australia
You will have to apply for the Australian student visa (subclass 500) by using the official online platform. Just follow the steps on the website. You can fill in your country of origin to get a list of requirements for your visa process. You can also register for a medical exam before applying for a visa. After you apply, depending on your situation you may be asked to attend a visa interview, provide police certificates, provide more information, or take a medical exam.
It's likely you'll also have to provide biometrics during the visa application process, but some countries may be exempt Your biometrics are, basically, extra identification (e.g. fingerprinting and pictures) that countries use for security purposes.
4. Language requirements for my study in Australia
When you apply for the Australian student visa, you are required to prove your English skills with the result from an accepted English language test:
5. Documents required for a student visa in Australia
- A complete application form
- Passport in original and copy
- Letter of acceptance from the university you applied to
- Evidence that you can financially afford your studies (21,830 AUD/year + university tuition fee)
- An Australian accepted health insurance that covers your stay in the country
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record verification results
- Proof that you paid the 550 AUD visa fee.
6. Useful information for my student visa in Australia
Here are some detailed lists of requirements for the Australian visa, based on what country you're coming from:
- American students applying for the Australian visa
- Students from the UK applying for the Australian visa
- Students from Pakistan applying for the Australian visa
- Kenyan students applying for the Australian visa
- Students from Ghana applying for the Australian visa
- Emirati students applying for the Australian visa
7. Work as an international student in Australia
Most types of student visas allow you to work during your study up to 20 hours/week (part-time) during the semesters and full-time on holidays.
The Graduate work stream is valid for three years and it requires a qualification from a defined set of disciplines.
The Post-Study Stream gives you full rights for a maximum of four years, depending on your approved qualification level.
The Working Holiday visa applies to students from certain countries, with ages between 18 and 30 and lasts for a maximum of one year.